|Subject Areas:||History, Travel|
|Name & Location:||Mr Michael ASTROP||Todmorden|
|Contact & Website:||w: None|
|Subjects:||Origins & Oddities of English Inn Signs
Few people realise that two thousand years of history is hanging over their heads, and that the humble pub sign can hold the key to a town's past. Pubs were rarely named by accident but were inspired by religion, royalty, heroes and the occasional scandal. Having watched this talk people will know how to read the signs and unlock the history of the inn and the travellers that took their rest and sustenance there.
1) History above Your Head - England Through its Inn Signs
2) The Origins and Evidence for Robin Hood and His Merry Men
3) The Birth of Great British Brands
4) The Origins of the Traditions of Christmas
5) Nichola de la Haye ? the Story of a 13th Century Feminist Icon
6) Dick Turpin ? Knight of the Highway or Rogue of the Road
Some recent Speaker Finders said:
"Our members enjoyed your talk on inn signs so much I think they would be happy to welcome you every week!"
Thornton Antiquarian Society
"Thank you so much for a fascinating talk on Tuesday. It was a wonderful start to our new season. We will certainly be booking you for the 20/21 season."
Boroughbridge Antiques Society
Michael Astrop is the Northern Regional organiser for the Inn Sign Society and avid campaigner to retain old inns signs and original style depictions.
|Availability & Fee:||Anytime||£60.00|
|Requirements:||S, T, F||Click for requirements explanation||Areas Covered:||All Yorkshire covered|
|[ Search Again ]|